Wednesday, December 4, 2013

How did I end up in Taipei (台北)?

People who know me know how much I fancy Taipei ever since 2007.

I came here on a short business trip with Sony Ericsson for the first time in September 2007. However, my first impression was not very positive to be honest. I thought it was a grey and boring city. Part of the reason was that I came from a short stop over from my beloved Bangkok, so everything that was in comparison at that time lost.

The second time I went there was in December 2007 and now things started getting much better! I actually changed my mind and liked Taipei instead! So, from that trip, I had a wish to work in Taipei for some period of time. Who knew at that time that this dream could come true almost exactly 6 years later?
I have been here almost at least once a year since 2007 except 2012 when I changed purchasing team and lost all my Taiwanese project work. I have been to Taipei 11 times before I finally moved here.
I guess everything happens for a reason, right? So, if I didn't change purchasing team to a more key component team and Sony didn't restructure in Lund, I wouldn't be here now.
Actually, I was offered a local contract in Tokyo, but I rejected it almost immediately and tried to give my employer a counterproposal of a Short term assignment in Taipei instead. After a couple of weeks, they gave me a firm proposal of a 2 years Long term assignment. I negotiated for a 1+1 contract instead. Just like a football player contract. A footballer that I "never" became in my life.

Well, folks, here I am in Taipei City starting from 1 December 2013!

I now stay in a new fully furnished 2-bedroom apartment next to Qsquare Mall and Taipei Main Station. The entrance of the mall is just a few steps away! My apartment is awesome and I really love that nobody has ever used it and the furnitures or other equipments before.










Commuting to work takes about 30min door-to-door by taking the Blue MRT Line and then changing to a short bus ride.

Life is good and fair sometimes!

Now I'm just waiting for my wifie to come in the end of January and share this adventure together with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment