Saturday, December 14, 2013

Grocery shopping in Taipei

From time to time, doing grocery shopping is necessary. You don't need to carry an enormous bag of items with you home. You may only need to buy a package of milk and that still counts as grocery shopping, I guess.

What do you think I miss from home?
To be honest, for the time being, the only thing I make at home is breakfast and that's nothing advanced either.
I drink milk with my whey protein, prepare two slices of bread with some processed cheese, and have a small package of (too sweet) yoghurt.

The breakfast concept is about the same I usually have back home in Sweden. However, the difference is bigger than I could imagine before I moved here. I thought I could buy some real cheese. Stuff like Gouda. I don't like the processed cheese since it doesn't taste good at all. The consistency is really strange and there is no resistance of chewing. 
I quote from Wikipedia: "Processed cheese is a food product made from normal cheese and sometimes other unfermented dairy ingredients, plus emulsifiers, extra saltfood colorings, or whey."

Did you also know this? Once again quoting from Wikipedia: "Due to the processing and additives, some softer varieties cannot legally be labeled as "cheese" in many countries, including the United States and United Kingdom, and so are sold as "cheese food", "cheese spread", or "cheese product", depending primarily on the amount of cheese, moisture, and milkfat present in the final product."

I found some Gouda cheese from the delicatessen counter in some shopping malls, but the prices there are not very euro-friendly. I bought 4 slices (100gr) for 90NTD!

There are also no slices of smoked ham or other nice spreads I could put on the bread at the supermarkets. I bought a package of imported smoked turkey though, 258NTD for 272gr!
The assortment of yoghurt consists of almost only drinking yoghurt instead of the regular thick one; the low fat and sugarfree I have at home. The low fat milk also tastes strange. Damn, I do miss my regular breakfast in Sweden!

People tend to eat more white bread here and all the bakeries also produce this variant a lot more than wholegrain bread.

I also reckon that doing grocery shopping in Taipei is in general more expensive than doing it in Sweden, unless you buy those Asian vegetables. Furthermore, they don't have those supermarket specific budget brands for standard products that we have in Sweden from ICA, Willys, Lidl, Hemköp, Coop, etc. Those items are usually reasonable to buy and quality is OK.

A small comparison with a couple of items (using exchange rate of 4.5) in NTD:

                                       Sweden                                  Taiwan
Butter                              67.5 (big package)                  80 (small package)
Cheese                           135 (400gr sliced Gouda)       100 (100gr processed cheese)
Wholegrain bread           135 (big bag of Längtan)         50 (small bag of toast bread)
Milk                                  67.3 (1l low fat)                      75 (1l low fat)
Yoghurt                           58.5 (1l low fat)                      - (1l does not exist)
Romaine salad                54 (1 pc)                                99 (2 small pcs)
Olive oil                           202.5 (1l)                               350 (1l)
Spaghetti                         45 (1kg)                                 100 (500gr)



In a summary, it's cheaper and more convenient to have lunch and dinner outside than making it at home. I have bought some pans, pots and other cooking utensils from IKEA. They are still untouched. Time to return them within 30 days of purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment