Thursday, December 19, 2013

Exercising in Taiwan

In order not to gain weight, there are two solutions; either you eat less (fat and sugar) or you do exercising.

I enjoy eating, especially here in Asia. However, I have been much better in controlling my consumption. Since two years back, I have also started watching my weight.

In Taiwan, the government decided some years back to build as many as 50 public sports centers across the nation following a 4-year-plan. The idea is good, but in reality only a little more than 50% of the sports centers were finished, leaving the plan much behind schedule. Not to mention that all of them went over budget. Let's not talk about politics though.

In these facilities, they have a swimming pool, gym, dance/aerobics room, spinning, etc.
In Wanhua, you can even enjoy paintball, climbing, basketball, table tennis, golf practice, etc.
While in Songshan, there is a big running track outdoor.
Nice, isn't it?

I have only been to the gym at Songshan Sports Center (near my office) and Wanhua Sports Center (near my apartment). Both are quite OK. I wish the equipment could be newer though. However, I recognize majority of the machines, since they look very similar to those I'm used to at home.

When I was in Songshan on a Tuesday, the gym was very crowded and you needed to line up for the machines.

Songshan Sport Center
When I was in Wanhua on a Sunday, the number of people was perfect, leaving lots of machines available. I went there on a weekday too. This time, it was more crowded, but still alright. I will definitely continue going to Wanhua instead. Wanhua is more convenient if I commute from my apartment (1 station away) and I can pass thru Ximenting for shopping or dining before or afterwards. Nowadays, I and my wife either walk or bike to the gym in Wanhua instead. It is much faster than taking the MRT.

Wanhua Sport Center
I can write a chapter about how to get changed before exercising. Let me keep this short. There is actually no changing room! You do it in the toilet/shower. Now you will say: The feet will get wet! Yes, they will. So, bring a pair of sandals. This hassle is the worst part about going to the gym here. Where to put my stuff then? You can put them in a locker that will cost 10NTD or 20NTD (a bigger one). Some people just put it outside or they don't even lock the locker. Don't forget to bring your own schampoo and shower gel.

The entrance to the gym is 50NTD/h. You pay at the main counter and then you'll get a receipt or a card depending on which gym it is. You show the receipt to the counter or swipe your card on the machine at the gym hall. Then you have to keep track of your time. If you exceed 1h, you have to pay 25NTD for 30min or 50NTD for 1h.
Otherwise, you can also consider a card for 1500NTD which gives you 30h. It is valid for 6 months. With this card, you are entitled to go swimming twice.

At World Gym, you pay 615NTD/time if you don't have a monthly card! This is a rip off, man! I went to the Ximenting branch out of curiosity asking how much a monthly card is and it turned out to be as much as 3500NTD! Wow! I have read lots of bad stories from forums about these so called "globogyms" where they offer different prices to different people and they try to force people to sign. However, I have heard prices are negotiable.

I have been a member of Friskis & Svettis in Malmö for 5-6 years and I used to sign up for the 1-year-card, which cost me about 13000NTD. Dividing it into a monthly cost, it will be 1083NTD.
Who can afford to go to those "globogyms" in Taiwan? Apparently, still quite many.

The good thing about not having a 1-year-card or monthly card is that you don't have to feel the pressure that you have to go there. The feeling now of being free and really going when I feel for it is good!

The public sports centers are definitely my choice!


No comments:

Post a Comment